HR & Office Manager
Built on a foundation of integrity, innovation, excellence and an enduring commitment to community, Argus Properties is one of British Columbia's great companies. Based in Kelowna, with over 50 years in the industry, Argus owns, manages and develops a multi-disciplined real estate portfolio, including industrial, retail, office, residential and hotel properties.
We believe in responsible and sustainable development in our communities. Our dedication is to excellence and quality, and our promise to develop premium properties for our clients emphasizing value, quality and efficiency is our focus. Our extensive portfolio of properties include; innovative commercial buildings, hotels, modern residential developments and versatile business parks.
At the heart of our business is innovation, and the hardworking dedication of our employees, our main building blocks.
Why Join Argus?
- The focus is you.
- Challenging work with leading-edge innovation.
- A company-wide commitment to training and development for all individuals.
- Recognized as an individual, unique and supported throughout your career.
- Talented and friendly co-workers who love a good laugh!
- Company events where you can connect with the team.
- We are a diverse and inclusive group of people.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director, the HR/Office Manager will undertake the duties and responsibilities associated with the management of the office, and all aspects pertaining to human resource management; implementing programs and policies, employee relations, compensation, benefits, training, health and safety programs, and strategy planning. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. The individual will work closely and cooperatively within the entire organization with the accounting, construction, leasing and property management departments as a resource for each department manager. The HR/Office Manager will supervise the Receptionist, and the responsibilities related to managing this role. The person will also be responsible for overseeing the sponsorship and donations program liaising with various organizations and groups within the community, and creating web and social media posts to promote the Argus brand.
The individual must be highly adept in administration and team management and collaboration, be able to multi-task, have a positive attitude, be professional, and an ability to handle themselves well in all situations. Strong written and verbal communication skills in a business environment will be critical, and proficiency in Word, Excel, database management and web hosting platforms is an asset.
HR Policies & Strategy
- Enhances the organization’s human resources by planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, programs, and practices.
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource provincial and national requirements, conducting investigations, maintaining records.
- Maintaining personnel files, tracking probationary periods and annual reviews.
- Preparing or updating employment records related to hiring, transferring, promoting, and terminating.
- Explaining human resources policies, procedures, laws, and standards to new and existing employees
- Maintain and revise the company’s handbook on policies and procedures.
- Maintaining company directory and other organizational charts.
- Collaborate with the hospitality HR department to ensure a harmonious streamline of corporate strategy and practice.
- Develop, monitor and implement overall HR strategies, systems, tactics and procedures across the organization; corporate and hospitality divisions.
- Report to management and provide decision support through HR metrics.
- Maintains the work structure by updating job requirements and job descriptions for all positions by performing job evaluations and job analyses.
- Managing the recruitment and selection process; reviewing resumes, perform reference checks and screen potential candidates for employment within all departments.
- Supports organization staff by establishing a recruiting, testing, and interviewing program; counseling managers on candidate selection; conducting and analyzing exit interviews; and recommending changes.
- New employee orientation, documentation and onboarding.
- Ensures planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results by training managers to coach and discipline employees; scheduling management meetings with employees; hearing and resolving employee grievances; and counseling employees and supervisors.
- Oversee employee satisfaction and productivity within all departments, and an oversight with the administrative team.
- Addressing any employment relations issues and conflicts, such as work complaints and harassment allegations with Employment Standards or the Human Rights Tribunal.
- Supervise and manage the Receptionist role and performance.
- Implements employee benefits programs and informs employees of benefits by studying and assessing benefit needs and trends; recommending benefit programs to management; directing the processing of benefit claims; obtaining and evaluating benefit contract bids; awarding benefit contracts; and designing and conducting educational programs on benefit programs.
- Maintenance and updating attendance and vacation records, producing monthly reconciliations, and responding to employee inquiries.
- Liaise with payroll to ensure all compensation & benefits are up to date.
- Oversight, coordination and implementation of company social events and celebrations.
Performance & Training
- Developing, analyzing and updating the company’s employee evaluation program.
- Collaborate and create plans with department managers regarding employee performance training and development programs, and any disciplinary actions.
- Cultivate professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, and reviewing professional publications.
- Support current and future business needs in collaboration with managers offering applicable training for all employees’ development, engagement, and career growth.
Health & Safety
- Develop and administer the health and safety program in accordance to WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Conduct safety investigations, maintain accident records and prepare government reports in compliance with WorkSafe BC.
- Act as Employer Co-chair leading the Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee.
- Equipment and system maintenance: photocopiers, postage meter, phones, cell phones.
- Administer security system for office alarm, FOBs, and trouble shooting.
- Manage and review contracts.
- Manage, coordinate and track all IT work, equipment purchases, software purchases and installations.
- Review and analyze technology needs with management in alignment with corporate goals and strategies.
- Review, negotiate, research and approve vendor invoices, products and purchases.
- Vehicle insurance maintenance for the company fleet.
- Annual membership renewals.
- Website maintenance and updates on Argus website.
- Creation of website blog posts, and LinkedIn posts.
- Domain renewals and changes.
- Oversee the production of print ads, banners related to corporate marketing.
- Oversee the coordinating and implementation of sponsorships and donations within the company with oversight of the donations and sponsorships within the hospitality group.
- Coordinating and implementation of marketing/social events.
Skills & Competencies
- 7+ years of experience in an office management role.
- 5+ years of experience working with people management and HR administration.
- Familiar with BC law.
- Strong knowledge of the employee management process from hire to termination.
- Experience in IT and network systems an asset.
- Experience in community relations is an asset.
- Experience in website administration.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel for Windows.
- Good supervisory and people management skills; excellent communication, problem solving, and management skills.
- People oriented and results driven.
- Knowledge of HR systems and databases is an asset.
- Excellent active listening, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Competence to build and effectively manage interpersonal relationships at all levels of the company.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview and any next steps will be contacted.