Director-Senior Property Manager
Argus Properties is Kelowna’s fastest growing privately owned and operated real estate investment and development companies. With 50 years in business, we have a proven track record of success, and the expertise to provide exceptional service in the areas of leasing, project management, property management, and construction.
Headquartered in Kelowna, British Columbia, we believe in responsible and sustainable development in our communities. Our extensive portfolio of properties include; innovative commercial buildings, hotels, modern residential developments and versatile business parks.
We take pride in our dedication to excellence, our reputation for quality, and our promise to find or develop premium properties for our clients emphasizing value, quality, sustainability and efficiency.
At the heart of our business is innovation, and the hardworking dedication of our employees, our main building blocks.
Why Join Argus?
- The focus is you.
- Challenging work with leading-edge innovation.
- A company-wide commitment to training and development for all individuals.
- Recognized as an individual, unique and supported throughout your career.
- Talented and friendly co-workers who love a good laugh!
- Company events where you can connect with the team.
- We are a diverse group of people, open to discussion and opinions.
Reporting directly to the VP, Asset Management, the Director-Senior Property Manager is responsible for the performance of the duties outlined below as associated with the management of the Property Management team, the maintenance team, and a portfolio of commercial and residential properties. The individual will work closely and cooperatively within the entire organization – accounting, construction, and leasing, to ensure appropriate and timely response to tenant and property requirements. The individual must be able to negotiate with contractors, be an excellent communicator, enjoy working within a small entrepreneurial environment that is result-driven, and community oriented.
The individual should be competent in the interpretation and application of commercial lease agreements, as well as contract negotiation and administration. They must have a positive attitude, be professional, and able to handle themselves well in all situations.
- Provide professional management and leadership to the property management team; maintenance and residential team.
- Manage ongoing staff development and coaching to ensure consistent performance, including hiring, evaluating, and terminating staff when necessary; foster a positive and respectful work environment to provide for the professional growth and development of each employee.
- Establish a “best practice” approach to promote continuous improvement, increase consistency in service delivery, and engage and empower employees to enhance the service provided to our tenants.
- Manage progress and ensure achievement of goals and objectives for the department;
- Oversee the documentation requirements of the Property Management and Leasing Departments.
- Negotiate and recommend amendments to standard lease documents; liaise with legal counsel, following up with tenants and respective legal counsel, and negotiate terms to support the interests of the Landlord and the property.
- Development and maintenance of corporate leases and related contractual standard forms.
- Undertake risk assessments on existing and new lease agreements.
- Prepare and maintain processes and procedures around property reporting.
- Establish short and long term goals and objectives for the assets within the portfolio, in alignment with the corporate vision, direction, and KPI’s.
- Establishes residential rental rates by surveying local rental rates.
- Prepare annual property budgets to meet financial objectives, CAM & tax reconciliations.
- Review monthly operating statements for expenditures, analyzing variances, and be able to adjust for over-budgeting.
- Prepares reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
- Develop and manage annual operating and capital budgets, and establish consistent review processes and analyses to continually monitor property financial performance variances against budgets; provide corporate reporting as required.
- Maintains property by investigating and resolving tenant complaints; enforcing rules of occupancy; inspecting vacant units and completing repairs; planning renovations; contracting with landscaping and snow removal services.
- To oversee multiple buildings with onsite visits to tenants - travel is a requirement.
- To oversee private properties belonging to Argus, and other commercial, industrial and retail buildings within the portfolio.
- Maintains building systems by contracting for maintenance services and supervising repairs.
- Secures property by contracting with security patrol service; installing and maintaining security devices; establishing and enforcing precautionary policies and procedures; responding to emergencies.
- Enforces occupancy policies and procedures.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests by exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Ensure timely collection of accounts receivable and resolution of tenant disputes.
- Optimization of tenant satisfaction/loyalty through improved operations, communications, and customer service initiatives; establish strong business relationships within each municipality relating to the various properties in the portfolio.
- Inspect properties periodically to ensure building presentation and operations are in accordance with management directives and to ensure efficient utilization of equipment and personnel;
- Identify and evaluate underperforming properties and develop/implement methods for property to achieve its potential.
- Work collaboratively with the team to explore and implement opportunities to enhance deliverables on a consistent basis, ensuring timely and effective communication of performance results to promote awareness and accountability.
- Other tasks as assigned by the VP, Asset Management.
- Commercial property management experience, and experience in strata and/or residential.
- Formal education and/or property management designations preferred.
- Strong financial acumen to prepare, budget and review operating statements, and reporting.
- Experience in property management and leasing documentation and contracts, and negotiation.
- Knowledge of construction, operational procedures & general maintenance.
- Must be able to multi-task and adjust priorities appropriately.
- Collaborative approach to problem solving; calm, confident and assertive.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships.
- Highly resourceful, energetic team player who is self-motivated.
- Be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate a high level of client service and response.
- Meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Forward thinking and seeks solutions.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel for Windows; Yardi Voyager experience (or similar property management/accounting software) would be beneficial.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Post-secondary education.
- Knowledge of the Residential Tenancy Act and legislation.
- 5+ years of experience in a Property Management role or in a similar role.
- 5+ years in a supervisory role.
Please send your resume to email@example.com. We thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview and any next steps will be contacted.