Assistant Controller, Hospitality
Built on a foundation of integrity, innovation, excellence and an enduring commitment to community, Argus Properties is one of British Columbia's great companies. Based in Kelowna, with over 50 years in the industry, Argus owns, manages and develops a multi-disciplined real estate portfolio, including industrial, retail, office, residential and hotel properties.
We believe in responsible and sustainable development in our communities. Our dedication is to excellence and quality, and our promise to develop premium properties for our clients emphasizing value, quality and efficiency is our focus. Our extensive portfolio of properties include; innovative commercial buildings, hotels, modern residential developments and versatile business parks.
At the heart of our business is innovation, and the hardworking dedication of our employees, our main building blocks.
Why Join Argus?
- The focus is you.
- Challenging work with leading-edge innovation.
- A company-wide commitment to training and development for all individuals.
- Recognized as an individual, unique and supported throughout your career.
- Talented and friendly co-workers who love a good laugh!
- Company events where you can connect with the team.
- We are a diverse group of people, open to discussion and opinions.
The Assistant Controller, Hospitality is responsible for the daily accounting transactions, and responsible for the success of the various components across the Hospitality portfolio. Primary responsibilities include financial analysis and financial reporting, budgeting/forecasting, audit and control, asset and liability reconciliation, and working capital and cash control. This person is professional, highly organized and very detailed oriented. The Assistant Controller can prioritize and complete work efficiently in a timely manner, possesses strong problem solving skills and have the ability to analyze and provide analytical reasoning. The individual will have an ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a professional manner to other team members promoting cooperation and understanding in the various processes that they are involved in. This position reports directly to the Hospitality Controller.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example;
- Oversees internal and external audit processes, reviewing audit issues and making corrections, as necessary;
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees;
- Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.;
- Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems;
- Ensures that the financial statements for Great Canadian LP (Hilton Home2 Suites) are accurate and statements are delivered to appropriate individuals in a timely manner;
- Work directly with the team from Hilton Home2 Suites, reviews and approves A/P batches, reviews and verifies account coding for hotel inventory. Follow-up with any missing invoices, late payments or other issues that may arise;
- Follow-up with any missing invoices, late payments or other issues that may arise;
- Verify that invoices for automatic withdrawals are received and entered into the system;
- Reconciles balance sheets and ensure account balances are supported by appropriate documentation;
- Ensures tax rates used for sales/use tax are current; monitors all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued;
- Ensures permits, licenses, insurance are all current;
- Demonstrates knowledge of job-relevant issues, products, systems, and processes;
- Uses relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards;
- Informs and/or updates the Hospitality Controller and the peers on relevant financial information in a timely manner;
- Advises the Hospitality Controller on existing and evolving operating/financial issues;
- Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors;
- Provide direction and assistance to other organizational units regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures, and efficient control and utilization of financial resources;
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person;
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish their work;
- Supports a strong accounting & operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability and manage business risks;
- Responsible for any assigned projects;
- All other duties as assigned.
- A post-secondary education in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration;
- CPA designation (or equivalent) or working towards;
- Prior hotel accounting experience preferred;
- Familiarity with Payworks payroll system;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel and Word);
- Strong work ethic; able to work productively, equally with minimum supervision and cooperatively and collaboratively in a team.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada without restriction.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview and any next steps will be contacted.